Sunday, July 15, 2012

5th Birthday Fun

I woke up at 6am, so excited to see Tristan open his little haul of presents.  He is such an easy going little soul that I feel he often gets lost between his more articulate older brother and more demanding younger sister, so I was also looking forward to a day of spoiling him and him being the centre of attention. 

Our present piles always have a theme and I really look forward to their faces when they first go into the room and see their presents laid out.  Of course, since we are night owls rather than early birds, I knew it could be a few hours before the rest of the house got up, so I enjoyed the peace and quiet while debating with myself about whether to risk waking everyone up by putting the kettle on.


Poor Tristan woke up feeling very unwell, but still managed to put a brave face on for opening his presents, enthusiastically cheered on by Toby.  His batman PJs were an early present the night before.

Typical of him, he hadn't asked for anything. Just a birthday with balloons and a cake. He was very pleased with his haul of super hero goodies and I'm really excited to try out a junk modelling kit that we got him.



Our plan was to go to a friend's house, but I was really unsure about whether we'd still be able to go.  It turned out she had gone to lots of unexpected, but much appreciated effort with balloons and banners so we figured that we would try and could always whizz the birthday boy home again if it all proved too much.
It turned out to be a good decision as he regained the colour in his cheeks and spent much of the day charging around with his friends. He was even well enough to have a slice of cake! 




Inbetween packing and posting orders and speech therapy appointments, I had spent much of the day before baking. After lots of advice on icing from friends and having watched a few youtube videos I came up with a half decent Captain America shield.  Having got the icing bug (its just like plasticine!) made a second cake with Spiderman on for his evening tea party.

Birthday boy eventually started to feel ill again and white as a sheet we headed home.  I dived in to the supermarket to throw together a tea party for his cousins while he had a nap.  He woke up feeling much better and well enough for round two.




No comments:

Post a Comment